Here are some highlights from a Tennessee Health Care Campaign forum that I attended:
- Currently, 300,000 hard-working Tennesseans in low-wage jobs are uninsured.
- 8 rural hospitals have closed in Tennessee. We lead the nation in the rate of hospital closures.
- 82% of the counties in Tennessee are rural so more people in our great state are at risk of losing access to hospital care.
- 72% of Knox County residents support Medicaid expansion.
- Plenty of studies have been done comparing health outcomes for people in states that expanded Medicaid and states that did not expand. Health outcomes improved for people in states that expanded Medicaid. Those that have the least, gain the most.
- Tennessee has lost $4 billion in federal taxes that WE have paid into. OUR money has either gone back to the federal government or gone to other states with expanded Medicaid.
- Since 2014, Tennessee has rejected $2.6 million per day because of the state legislature’s refusal to expand Medicaid.
If the good people of district 89 elect me to be their next State Representative, I make a promise to you now that I will vote to expand Medicaid and I will NOT be cowered by the “Red Shirts” (Americans for Prosperity).