I just don’t agree with Stacey Campfield’s positions on anything mentioned in the Knoxville News Sentinel article, Former state Sen. Stacey Campfield officially runs, April 17, 2018. By: Tyler Whetstone. LGBTQ+ rights and anti-discriminatory legislation has come so far since Campfield was in office. We have turned a corner on these subjects and as a nation and community we are ALL more accepting of people of all types of backgrounds and beliefs. I just can’t believe someone with this type of discriminatory stance would even run for public office.
- Campfield unsuccessfully tried to join the TN Legislature’s Black Caucus
- Blamed AIDS on a gay airline pilot having sex with monkeys and said the disease is virtually impossible to contract during heterosexual intercourse.
- Said, “Democrats bragging about the number of mandatory sign-ups for Obamacare is like Germans bragging about the number of mandatory sign-ups for ‘train rides’ for Jews in the 40’s.”
- His famous Bill: “Don’t Say Gay” that tried to prevent a discussion about homosexuality in schools.
- When Campfield was kicked out of the Bistro at the Bijou by owner Martha Boggs, he responded by comparing himself to Jesus Christ and the civil rights demonstrators of the 1960’s.
- He believes he is discriminated against because his Catholic faith does not support the act of homosexuality. He calls this, “Segregation of thought.”
I am running for the state house in district 89 because I want to help my community. I don’t want to bring anyone down or hurt anyone. I don’t want to ridicule a minority group or seek the spotlight for being an outrageous person. I just want to make the world a better place for those who follow.